Saturday, July 9, 2011

July Guest - Anton Emdin!

1) What was your first published work?
Well, that would be the school newspaper. But my first paid piece was for a weekly local paper called the Sydney City Hub. I had my own little regular spot on the back page in which I could draw a comic strip or single panel gag.

2) Who or what inspires you?
I have my old favourite artists - many of the old MAD Magazine guys like Elder, Kurtzman and Davis - but I'm constantly being blown away by a lot of stuff on the web. My favourite Aussie illustrator at the moment would be Eamo - his work is so fresh and uniquely Aussie.

3) What would be your dream job to illustrate?
I'd love a TIME cover. That would be pretty cool.

4) Tell us a bit about the illustration you've sent?

Strip Club - This is a full pager for Australian People magazine for a semi-regular spot called "DIY: How To". It's packed with little gags, and the mag runs some funny copy letting readers know the best way to negotiate certain situations. There's more info here http://www.antonemdin.com/blog/2011/05/strip-club/

Don's Party - This is a Spectator cover featuring Australian playwright David Williamson with the cast of his play, 'Don's Party'. International audiences may not recognise the personalities, but I really like the way this one turned out - composition, colour... sometimes it all just works.

Snail Rider - This is just a quick brush and ink drawing for my own enjoyment, but I love doing looser art when I can. A lot of my paid work is done digitally these days, so I relax and quick back with the brush.

5) What can we expect to see from you next (what are you working on)?
I'm finishing off a double-pager for MAD today. Next week, another big crazy scene for People.

6) If you hadn't become an artist what do you think you'd have ended up doing?
Wasn't an option not to draw, but I used to enjoy playing in bands too. I've always fantasised about doing gardening or something manual, but I'd probably miss the mental stimulation.

7) Where can we see more of your work (web links)?
You can see a lot of my work at www.antonemdin.com and at the blog: www.blog.antonemdin.com. I also have portfolios at my agency: www.drawingbook.com.au/anton_emdin and at behance: www.behance.net/antonemdin

No comments:

Post a Comment