Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Hulk smush referee!

Graeme Neil Reid,IllustrationContinuing the football theme for last week here is the Hulk facing the red card from referee Pierluigi Collina. This was done back at the start of 2006 for a charity book called Just One Page, it had a comic football theme to tie in with that years World Cup.

This was the first time I'd used a Brush pen to ink an illustration and I wasn't immediately happy with the results, although a great deal of the problem was down to the paper I had used as the ink bled slightly after having been laid down. I now use the Brush Pen a lot having come to grips with it and finding the right kind of paper to keep me happy with the line it produces.

Overall though and looking back I'm not entirely happy with the piece as although I like the work on Collina I think I made the Hulk's legs too long. He needed to be more squat especially as people are used to seeing him in ragged baggy purple troos and not in his tight fitted football strip.

1 comment: