Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Hunters


A few months ago I had an impromptu job to paint some big game hunters for Gorilla Board Games - a fun and quick job to illustrate a handful of characters for their Hunting Party game. There was a quick turnaround on the job, so it was a good time to concentrate on the process of painting and streamlining my techniques so that I might get them to the client as soon as possible. Here are just a pair of the batch produced.

Also I'd like to say a big thank you to all of our guest contributors over the last six weeks or so, who have posted top (and inspirational) artwork on Scotch Corner. Cheers all!

3 comments:

  1. Fantastic work Andy. Thanks for posting. I'm curious, was there any part of the process in particular that you managed to streamline in order to save time? (p.s. I noticed your website isn't live at the moment. Just temporary?). Here here re the other great SC posts lately. Well done guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had trouble with my site for a few weeks, but right now it is down 100% because of me - it will be rectified ASAP. In terms of streamlining, a lot of it was working on 2 or three of the characters at the same time - underpainting a batch simultaneously, and figuring out which layers suit overpainting (I have settled on Multiply for now, not perfect, and darkens the colours so there is a lot of opaque painting to do as well). Also making sure I have nailed the drawing before I start painting - deciding to make do and adjust things as I go is ALWAYS a poor decision.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reply Andy - useful insights there and much appreciated. In the few bits and pieces of digital painting I've done myself I tend to use the default, normal and multiply layers mostly (in Painter). I find other layer settings a bit of mystery at the moment, at least in terms of knowing what to select and when to select them, rather than painting first and then changing the layer setting after the fact. I guess more experimentation will help with that. Cheers, K.

    ReplyDelete