Wednesday, August 10, 2011

August Guest – Warwick Johnson Cadwell!

1) What was your first published work?
First work was Concept Design for Aardman Animation's Chicken Run about 2 weeks after college finished. Though first 'printed' were 2 drawing's for newspaper ads for the Inland Revenue, very easy job, paid loads. I thought "I CAN draw for money, I'll live like a king" That hasn't gone to plan so far.

2) Who or what inspires you?
Mostly everything. I get regular inspiration from people who I'm in contact with/ snoop at through twitter, blogs etc. People progressing with and finishing projects are great and enviable inspiration.

3) What would be your dream job to illustrate?
Something big, with lots of pages that I get paid for. I enjoy the prospect of trying to work in areas I haven't tried or have avoided. Having to draw things like misty eyed clowns or big eared caricatures or exploded diagrams are things I'm happy not to have tried but they be lessons worth learning if I ever do.

4) Tell us a bit about the illustration you've sent?
It's from my 'quick to start, slow to finish' book Gungle. Which is to be published by Blank Slate Books next year.

5) What can we expect to see from you next (what are you working on)?
Nelson is coming out later this year from Blank Slate Books, I'm extremely happy to have been part of that. Today, I'm trying to finish work on illustrations for a junior reading book for Walker books. I am working on a strip with Dan Lockwood for Self Made Hero's Lovecraft Anthology 2, out next year. Also, a few discreet plans for proposed submissions for future work. It's Gungle that is my main project at the moment. I'm wrestling with it at every opportunity. Though, there will be another comic out from me from Blank Slate before then.

6) If you hadn't become an artist what do you think you'd have ended up doing?[
I've done plenty of jobs in my time where I sneak a drawing instead of data entry or do a moleskin page while engaged in some other working environment. (I have not drawn while driving the boats I skipper, I think I'll avoid that one). Point being, I'll be drawing whatever I do, I'm not a full time artist yet at this time, tried it a couple of times but have had to go back to paying day jobs after a while. Hopefully, I'll try again soon.

7) Where can we see more of your work (web links)?
My blog
http://warwickjohnsoncadwell.blogspot.com/
My Agent
http://www.eastwing.co.uk/artist/warwickjohnsoncadwell/

3 comments:

  1. I only came across WJC this year, but just love his work. A style all of his own, exciting and dynamic. And he gave the world Sweary Bear. Good interview - thanks to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WJC rules the roost - nuff said - !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks enormously, the pair of you. And thanks Graeme for let me join in with these interviews, i've been enjoying them a lot.

    ReplyDelete