Monday, August 1, 2011

August Guest – Leigh Gallagher!

1) What was your first published work?
My first pro commission was a 2000AD Future Shock called "Bad Thoughts" about a group of melon heads who's thoughts turned out to be aliens. I remember that day clearly as it was a week before my 25th birthday--my self imposed deadline to get my first professional job, or I'd give up and attempt to get work in other areas of art instead.
Though I can never remember if the publishing of it was beaten to the post by my inking over John Higgins' pencils for a 3D promotional comic book for LEVIS....

2) Who or what inspires you?
Fluffy clouds in the sky, lacy underwear, PJ Holden, Lady Gaga.

3) What would be your dream job to illustrate?
I want 2000AD to buy the rights to SCREAM's "The Thirteenth Floor" just so I can draw it! In fact, I refuse to eat any vegetables until they agree to do it!

4) Tell us a bit about the illustration you've sent?
Ok, this is the pencil version I did for a commission for a great guy called Ryan Ballard. He's set up what is known as "The Preacher Project" (obviously based on the fantastic Vertigo series) as a special gift to his father. I've never seen anything like this before and I was genuinely touched by what he's doing. You can read about his project and see the inked version of my pic at his site: http://thepreacherproject.blogspot.com/
Also, if you're a pro artist who wants to add to his collection, just drop him a line!

5) What can we expect to see from you next (what are you working on)?
Well a two part Dredd that I drew is currently in the latest Judge Dredd Megazine, written by beardy Al Ewing. The second collection of Defoe "Queen Of The Zombies" will be out this Halloween, so i'm currently just touching up some of the older panels. And last week I accepted a new 2000AD gig written by Gordon Rennie that I can't really talk about just yet sorry. So don't ask. No really, don't....

6) If you hadn't become an artist what do you think you'd have ended up doing?
I think I'd be a detective in LA, taking on cases that the cops can't handle, fighting for redemption to make up for all the bad things I did when I was a vampire, until I was cursed by gypsies.
Or I'd be a hand model.

7) Where can we see more of your work (web links)?
You can either Google "Keanu Reeves lookalike" or just go to http://www.leighgallagherart.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment