Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Enough to send a Judda down your…

Graeme Neil Reid,Illustration,2000adBack in 1987 the seventh part of the Judge Dredd epic 'Oz' featured the first appearance of the Judda who look like Judge Dredd drawn by Jack Kirby really. Artist Brendan McCarthy brought these crazy looking clone Judges to life and I couldn't believe me eyes when I first saw them. 'Oz' was a long story and it had a wide selection of artists working on it, thankfully Brendan seemed to cover most of the issues that involved the Judda, in fact I think Will Simpson was the only other artist to draw them in the strip (although John Higgins did some amazing covers featuring them) and he did a great job but it lacked the flare and imagination that Brendan added. I'd have loved to seen Cam Kennedy's take on them.

I couldn't resist having a go a drawing one after re-reading 'Oz' the other week, I enjoyed it so much I drew another one. One of the great things about the Judda is that they have no set uniform so any crazy over the top Judge uniform is fine, well as long as you don't forget to give them massive boots and a 'power staff/rod/thingy'.

Graeme Neil Reid,Illustration,2000ad

No comments:

Post a Comment