Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Hurt Locker

Illustration,Graeme Neil Reid,The Hurt Locker,D-Day

Winner of six Academy Awards and six BAFTA Awards the film 'The Hurt Locker' follows a US Army Explosive Ordnance Disposal team in the Iraq War. It is a well made film with lots of great performances and no doubt hits the western publics thoughts surrounding the continuing activity that many nations forces are involved in. There are some very memorable moments in the film and the opening scene where Staff Sergeant Thompson (Guy Pearce) attempts to set a radio controlled explosion to clear a bomb sets the tone for the whole film.

This was another 'experiment with colouring' piece for me much along the lines of this piece here. Not so much in the main figure which I wanted to jump out and be a stronger element but with the background which I wanted to have a level of detail but not be overly painted.

1 comment:

  1. Nice work!

    I always find it a challenge when I have the combination of light source (the explosion in this case) against a bright sky, and I want to keep everything relatively low saturation to keep it "back there" spatially.

    I like how you handled this.

    ReplyDelete