As shown below various rough sketches were created for the author to choose from.
After seeing the rough sketches, the author felt that that maybe the audience wouldn't get the Delacroix reference if the composition veered too far from the original, so we went back a stage and created something a bit more akin to the source painting - at least in terms of layout.
This was then doodled up to check we were on the same track before the pencil stage was started.
This approach was agreed (with some minor tweaks to body positions) and the cover art was started - thanks to the better half (and Logan's toy guns) for posing for all 3 characters at this stage.
The pencils were approved and the colour version was underway - the author specifically wanted a very flat cartoony feel to the characters and colouring - and so this version was produced on the mockup version of the book.
Although this fulfilled the brief and was what was asked for, it lacked some dynamism and punch. At this point it was decided to go back and start again using the Delacroix image much more faithfully - so the publisher settled this invoice and we started again as a new job.
To be continued - will probably post the final cover next week.