Tuesday, July 5, 2011

July Guest - Chris Weston!

1) What was your first published work?
A Judge Dredd pin-up on the back of 2000ad Prog 589, the one where he's bursting out of the book. I never got the original art for this back, and it is something I'd dearly love to have possession of, for sentimental reasons. If anyone knows where it is or can facilitate its return, please do get in touch. I'm sure we could come to some kind of mutually agreeable exchange.

2) Who or what inspires you?
The success of my peers... all of whom seem to have accelerated past me in terms of career and talent. Bastards, the lot of them... with their film deals, paid convention appearances, awards and superior drawing skills. I've seen what they've got and I won't rest until I've prised it from their cold, dead hands.

3) What would be your dream job to illustrate?
I have thousands of dream jobs... and not enough life left to complete them all. There are specific characters I'd like to draw, but I'm buggered if I'm gonna name them 'cos I don't want to give anyone good ideas. I've given enough good ideas away to writers in the past... without any credit or reward. So from here on, it's all mine. MINE, I tell you!


4) Tell us a bit about the illustration you've sent?
It was a rejected cover for a Superman comic, I don't know what issue. They wanted something with bit more action in it. I did another version showing Superman punching out a Brainiac Drone, but it wasn't that good, and I'm not sure if it ever got used. I've never seen a copy anyway.

5) What can we expect to see from you next (what are you working on)?
God knows. I've still got one issue left of The Twelve to draw. Beyond that I've got nothing lined up... and that's the way I like it. I want to go away, recharge the batteries and come back with something new and exciting. Preferably something self-written and creator-owned. There are a couple of film projects that might come my way that sound exciting: one featuring a classic comic-strip character, the other considered the best unfilmed action movie script on the block. But you never know how it will pan out. I spent a year working on the live-action adaptation of "Akira" and I was literally two weeks away from going out to The States to begin production when it all fell apart.

6) If you hadn't become an artist what do you think you'd have ended up doing?
Any job that involves scraping. I love scraping. Archeology or paleontology; removing the crud off dinosaur bones or old pots. Dentistry would be cool; scouring the plaque from people's teeth. Maybe restoring furniture, perhaps. Anything that requires an autistic level of attention, repetitive motion and abrasive materials.

7) Where can we see more of your work (web links)?

For a long time my website had been a bloody disgrace... out of date in style and content. Eventually, the professional in me grabbed hold of my testicles and demanded that I get it sorted out... and on this occasion he couldn't be ignored. Being a notorious control freak (just ask my inkers) I quickly came to the conclusion that the only way to get it how I liked it was to build the damned thing myself. This entailed an intense crash course in Wordpress, not to mention much wailing and the gnashing of teeth. Finally, with the assistance of Jason Brice (of Comic Bulletin) fame, my work was done... and now, behold: I can exclusively reveal the majesty of http://chrisweston.co.uk/!

No comments:

Post a Comment