Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Guest Post - Dan Berry!

1) What was your first published work?
My first work that was properly published was a few pages in Blank Slate's Nelson book. Before that I'd self-published for a while and had a few strips in anthologies and the such.

2) Who or what inspires you?
Oof, that's a difficult question to answer. Who? I've just re-read Brian Eno's 'A Year With Swollen Appendices' which is a kind of diary he kept for a year. I'm always busy but that book makes me feel sluggish and unmotivated. He really packed those days full of lots of really interesting stuff. Ask me again tomorrow and I'd probably give you a different answer!

3) What would be your dream job to illustrate?
I don't know. I only really work on things I really want to work on, so I guess they are all dream jobs maybe?

4) Tell us a bit about the illustration(s) you've sent?
First is the cover to my new book, The Suitcase, out soon from Blank Slate Books. I'm really proud of it. It's a darkly comic series of connected stories set in the suburbs. It's about a dead dog.

Next is a page from a strip I did for the latest issue of OffLife. It's about how I sometimes have the urge to throw my keys and wallet away and how I'd end up going feral. It was a lot of fun to draw.

Lastly this one is from an animated music video I made for Jim Guthrie's new album. I only had a couple of weeks to pull this all together and I'm really pleased with how it came out. It's a great song too.

5) What can we expect to see from you next (what are you working on)?
I've got some more shorter strips in the works and I've just started working on a longer project that I can't say too much about yet. It's a lot of fun though, and I'm getting to draw some really cool stuff.

6) If you hadn't become an artist what do you think you'd have ended up doing?
I really don't know. I'd probably still be working in a petrol station.

7) Where can we see more of your work (web links)?
You can see more of my work at thingsbydan.co.uk and you can have a look at the podcast I run at makeitthentelleverybody.com in which I talk to other artists about how they do what they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment