Tuesday, February 19, 2013

How to build a medium-sized Hadron Collider

TheChap_HadronColliderINKS_GNREID.jpg photo TheChap_HadronColliderINKS_GNREID_zps32145c15.jpg Out now is the latest issue of the journal for the modern gentleman 'The Chap' featuring my illustrations for the article 'How to build a medium-sized Hadron Collider in your shed' by William Walker. My work for the magazine is always fun, the briefs have a light hearted and wry sense of humour which makes it very enjoyable. TheChap_HadronCollider_GNREID.jpg photo TheChap_HadronCollider_GNREID_zps8236c4df.jpg

This commission marks a change for me in my introduction and use of the application Manga Studio. The last few commissions for The Chap I have digitally inked the final pieces in Photoshop to help give the line of the work a nice crisp look but for the last few years I've been hearing glowing reviews about Manga Studio which many comic artists and traditional illustrators have turned to for inking. I thought I'd give it a go and I always like to learn on the job so this brief suited the purpose well. The first few illustrations where obviously a quick learning curve as I got used to the interface and quirks of the application but by the third piece I was easily as quick using Manga Studio to create the final art as if I'd been using Photoshop. I still have a lot to learn about the application but I was very impressed with my first outing and look forward to mastering the various options it will give me for future work.

The Chap is available bi-monthly at all good newsagents of choice but also online via their site - http://thechapmagazine.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment