Sunday, September 30, 2012
Just for the fun of it I spent a couple of nights this week doing a Star Wars illo, something that looked as screen authentic as possible. I built a very basic Star Destroyer over the course of a lunchtime at work. There are many Star Wars blueprints available online and if you stick these images on planes in the X/Y/Z views within a modelling package, you will have the correct scale and proportions in no time. In the evening I slapped on some textures to the corresponding areas and very quickly the model looks a lot more complex than it actually is. The starfield was made up using a tutorial and the planet was a simple gradient with ground and cloud colours applied with hard brush strokes slighly motion blurred and hand smudged.