Thursday, July 14, 2011
July Guest - Garen Ewing!
I published my first fanzine, Demon Issue, in March 1985 when I was 15. I think my first professionally published drawings were for a book called 'The Good Skin Doctor' by Anne Lovell and Dr Anthony Chu, published by Thorsens (1999).
2) Who or what inspires you?
Glorious adventure stories, whether in comic or film; Franco-Belgian albums full of sumptuous art and captivating tales; history and the natural world. All that!
3) What would be your dream job to illustrate?
I'd love to have my own comic adventure series in the European album format - that's been my ambition since I was a kid. Oh, wait - that's what I do - hooray!
4) Tell us a bit about the illustration you've sent?
Back in 2008 I drew an A-Z of comic characters, each letter being voted for by the members of a specially set up Facebook group. Judge Death came up for the letter J. You can see the full A-Z here: http://www.rainboworchid.co.uk/blog/az.php
5) What can we expect to see from you next (what are you working on)?
I'm currently finishing off volume 3 - the final volume - of my Julius Chancer adventure, The Rainbow Orchid. It will be published in the UK in April 2012.
6) If you hadn't become an artist what do you think you'd have ended up doing?
Well, I am a writer as well, so without the drawing I'd like to think I would still have the writing. Failing that, probably a hotel porter or a fork lift truck driver - I was quite good at that.
7) Where can we see more of your work (web links)?
Come on over to www.rainboworchid.co.uk and www.garenewing.co.uk